What is the immune system?
The immune system is a host defense system comprising many biological structures and processes within an organism that protects against disease
Why you should focus on improving your immune system:
Just like eating a healthy diet, regular physical activity contributes to overall good health and, therefore, a healthy immune system. Exercise promotes efficient blood circulation, which keeps the cells of the immune system moving so that they can effectively do their job.
Well, also, a weak immune system may cause result in serious illnesses, fatigue and potentially even death. A weak immune system cannot help fight off viruses nor the common cold. Our immune system can be weakened by smoking, alcohol, stress, and poor nutrition. Some viral infections that destroys important white blood cells and weakens the immune system, and that makes it more difficult for anyone to get better.
Whereas, the stronger your immune system, the better it can the body fight off infections, as well as speed up the recovery process afterwards.
How can you improve it?
- Don’t smoke
- Eat well, a diet high in fruits and vegetables, and drink lots of water
Benefits of exercise to improve the immune system:
Daily moderate intensity aerobic exercise, like taking brisk walks, cycling, easy running, for about 30 to 60 minutes, optimizes immune function. While you are exercising, it increases circulation of white blood cells, along with other parts of your immune system, which are vital to helping you fight off that cold.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Going to the gym every other day
- Daily 20-30 minute walks
Benefits of diet, recovery and supplements to improve the immune system are HUGE. Creating a healthy eating habit, along with a moderate consumption of vitamins are essential to boosting a strong immune system. By fueling the body with moderate amounts of healthy foods, you are replenishing and strengthening one’s immunity. Fruits and vegetables of various colors contain Vitamin C, E, and antioxidants that can enhance the immune system to fight against infections and pathogens.
On top of fueling the body with food, the body must receive adequate rest in order for it to recover, and have the immune system operate as normal.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Citrus fruits like oranges, and lemons, is a great source of vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system. Vegetable sources could be broccoli, and red bell peppers. Broccoli is filled with vitamins A, C, and E, along with other antioxidants and fiber.
- Vitamin E (antioxidant to help fight off infections, helps regulate and maintain immune system)
- Aim to sleep for the recommended 7-8 hours daily. The immune system releases proteins called cytokines, which some of it helps promote sleep. Those cytokines need to be present when your body is trying to fight off the infection or inflammation.
& a lot more tips when you visit us for a consultation!
The Markham Gym
The Mall at Langham Square,
8339 Kennedy Road, Unit 2800